May 26 2020 Update:
At Palmerston North City Library, we are focused on keeping you, your whānau, our communities and our team safe during these unprecedented times.
We are looking forward to seeing you all at the City Library. The reopening of the Palmerston North City Library (all sites) must be carefully planned and phased to mitigate any remaining risks for staff and library users. Reopening will not mean going back to the way things were pre-COVID-19; it will mean putting in place the ‘new normal’ approach to library services. We appreciate your patience and understanding while we are hard at work bringing you the City Library services you value.
Prepare for your visit by registering for Contact Tracing on the device you'll bring to the Library.
Palmerston North City Library Service Alert Level 2 Info:
The phased reopening of the City Library sites is due to the safety protocols required under Alert Level 2. This will mean reduced opening days and hours as we slowly return to full opening hours.
- Central Library, Youth Space, Ashhurst, Awapuni, Roslyn and Te Pātikitiki Libraries are open.
- All return bins are open.
- Blueprint will be open from Thursday 4 June.
- The Mobile Library Bus is currently closed under Alert Level 2 due to social distancing requirements.
Some locations are opening limited hours and days, please view the hours for each location.
Conditions of Entry:
In addition to our Code of Conduct:
- You must complete a contact tracing form - You can register before you arrive to make this process easier.
- You must sanitize your hands.
- Please stay home if you are unwell. Enjoy our great Digital Library offerings at home. Entry may be refused if you are unwell.
- Please limit your stay to less than 2 hours. You will not be able to stay in the space all day.
- No eating or drinking in the library.
- No scooters will be allowed in the library – they must remain outside.
What you can expect when you visit:
- You will be able to return books, browse the shelves, check-out library materials and use computers or wifi.
- There will be controlled numbers at each site based on the ability to maintain social distancing.
- Please use the self-check stations if you are able.
- At Central Library please enter at the Mezzanine entrance and exit through the George Street doors. Movement throughout the Central Library building may be directed if needed in order to maintain social distancing. Please follow the signs and listen to staff guidance.
- Safe queuing spaces will be set up at each location. Please follow these.
- Furniture and some services will be rearranged to facilitate social distancing.
- Limited numbers of computers will be available – public computers have been removed to create space between terminals – and there will also be strict time limits on computers.
- Sanitizer stations will be available for use.
- The City Library’s Digital Library is always open—and we are working to enhance our digital offerings. Check out e-books, e-audiobooks, downloadable magazines, movies and online learning.
- Don't have a Palmerston North City Library membership? We'd love for you to join. You can get instant access to our digital collection with a digital library membership through our Online Membership.
- Children’s Digital Library is a curated list of digital adventures, virtual storytimes, learn to draw with beloved Children's illustrators, experiments, and more.
- Contribute your COVID-19 stories and explore your local history with Manawatū Heritage.
What else you should know under Level 2:
- Holds are now free. There are also no charges or fines.
- Anything checked out before Level 4 has a due date of 30 June. If you are still using these you're welcome to keep them until your due date, if you're not using them, please return them so others can enjoy.
- Home Service for current users will resume.
- A limited selection of Library Programmes will be delivered virtually – programmes in library spaces will not resume until alert levels allow.
- Wifi is available at all locations between 8am and 8pm. Wifi users are required to observe 2 metre physical distance from other people.
- All meeting rooms are closed and bookings will not be able to be taken.
- Showers will be closed.
- Justice of the Peace (JP) services will not be in operation.
Public Health Information:
It is important to get information from reliable and authoritative sources: