Still haven't found what you're looking for?Search our FAQs
What is your privacy statement?
Palmerston North City Library Privacy Statement
Palmerston North City Library is part of the Palmerston North City Council. This privacy statement will explain how the City Library uses the personal data we collect from you when you become a member, connect with us, use the library website or other resources, or sign up for our email communications.
At the City Library we respect your privacy.
- We only collect personal information where this is necessary to carry out our functions.
- We will only use and share personal information where necessary to carry out the functions for which we collected it, or if required by law.
- If you sign up for a Library Membership, we will use your contact information to keep you informed about your membership and library service announcements.
- We send optional communications like newsletters only if you opt-in to receive them.
What data do we collect?
The City Library collects the following data:
- Personal identification information (such as: name, date of birth, contact information, interactions with us, billing information) for purposes of a library membership.
- Email, name, and interests as an opt-in for additional City Library communications via email.
How do we collect your data?
You directly provide the City Library with most of the data we collect. We collect data and process data when you:
- Register in person or online for a library membership or a library service.
- Voluntarily complete a customer survey or provide feedback online, in person, or via email.
- Use or view our website via your browser’s cookies.
- Checkout or use library materials or resources.
The City Library may also receive your data indirectly from the following sources:
- Third-party providers of library resources or services that require creating a separate account (such as when you use ebooks or digital resources).
How do we use your data?
The City Library collects your data so that we can:
- Manage your library membership and communicate service updates.
- Email you with news, updates and information we think you might like if you choose to opt-in.
- Analyse and report on patterns to improve our services and resources and provide resources and services relevant to your interests.
How is my data shared?
Besides our staff, we share this information with:
- Kōtui - a public library consortium run by the National Library of New Zealand. The City Library is a member of Kōtui.
- Some third-party providers of library resources or services that provide library services or communications (such as when you use ebooks or digital resources).
Do you have to supply all data asked?
Providing some information is optional. If you choose not to share some information, we may be unable to provide full services. Our staff can help navigate this with you, just ask.
How do I delete my data?
We do regular clean-ups of some data that has been inactive.
If you would like your data deleted from all City Library systems, we can do this manually for you. Please let us know.
What are your rights?
You have the right to ask for a copy of any personal information we hold about you, and to ask for it to be corrected if you think it is wrong. If you’d like to ask for a copy of your information, or to have it corrected, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. You can find more info about your rights and our responsibilities from the Privacy Commissioner.
We may update this privacy statement from time to time. This was last updated June 2022.
Need more information? Contact us:
Telephone : (06) 351 4100
Email : email@example.com